Fertility: Choosing A Midwife Or OB/GYN For Insemination

9:54 PM

There are so many things to consider when you and your partner have decided to TTC (Trying To Conceive). One of those things happens to be whether or not to hire and work with a midwife or ob/gyn. 

Let's brake down the two types of care providers.

A midwife is a certified birth professional and is trained to assist women in child birth. Midwives help with delivering babies and providing services up to two weeks (or more depending on the midwife) for mama+ babe. Some midwives are also trained to perform IUI (intrauterine insemination) and ICI (intracervical insemination).

An ob/gyn is a medical profession that specializes in treating the diseases of the female reproductive system. OB/GYN's are also trained to perform IUI (intrauterine insemination), ICI (intracervical insemination), and IVF (invitro fertilization).

When deciding between the two it is very important to know your medical status. Knowing the health of your womb will further help you eliminate the chance of spending more money than you have to and a clearer understanding of what type of treatment and from whom would be best for you and your insemination process.

#doulakayla suggests women with no known fertility and womb issues to seek a certified professional midwife for ICI and IUI** options seeing that IVF is usually a last resort for those who have fertility issues (whether because of eggs or sperm) in which case I would recommend contacting an ob/gyn.

It's vital to get a preconception check up so that you can know your status. There are many midwife alliances and ob/gyn directories in place for you to find the right care for you. You can also check with your local hospitals - most have both ob/gyn's and nurse/certified profession midwives on staff.

Do your research + Think positive baby-dust thoughts.

** IUI can be done with or without fertility drugs, make sure to discuss this with either your midwife or your ob/gyn.

You Might Also Like